Success

TBC  | 

Gender Inclusivity in the Workplace (Archived)

Applications for this course are now closed
Programme manager:
Course dates
TBC -
Registration closes
TBC
Pricing

Request more information

Zero Rated Data to Specific WITS Sites
Our online learning platforms are zero-rated for data - so, free to use!
Apply now and start interacting with our lecturers and fellow students on our zero-rated platforms. You need not pay for data to boost your abilities
Apply to our part time course and acquire skills and knowledge on our zero-rated learning systems - we believe access to our platform should be free.
Apply now to our part time course - you don't need to pay data costs to access our systems

Registration Closes:
29 July 2022

Course Description
The main aim of this program is to provide women and men with the opportunity to gain knowledge, understanding and communication skills to ensure gender (women) inclusivity in the workplace. While many "Women in Leadership" programmes addressed women only this programme seeks to address both sexes on critical issues of inclusivity in the workplace.

Who is it for?
Organisations where their female  representation is low and never seems to change. 
Men that want to understand the challenges women face in the workplace 

How will you benefit?
Greater understanding of self and what keeps us from better collaboration in general and not just across genders.

How will your organisation benefit?
Greater collaboration between genders in achieving the corporate goals. As a result, an improved representation of women at all levels in the organisation.

What's covered
At the end of this short course, participants should be able to:
1. Personal and Team effectiveness
2. Individual Leadership Conversations 
3. Mental Models 
4. Implicit Bias 
5. Power and Patriarchy 
6. Conditioned Behavior 
7. Workplace environment 
8. Gendered Group Tensions 
9. Protecting self and others 
10.Communication Parttens and Practices
11. NLP Strategies & Empathetic Listening  

Course Structure
4.5 days of Online live streamed teaching on SAKAI learning platform (day class) 

Learning Outcomes

1. Personal Development and Team effectiveness 
  • Develop reflection strategies for personal growth.
  • Understand how team operate and their own role in a team
  • Understand the Business Model Canvas
2. Mental Models and World 
  • Define and discuss how life worlds and mental models determine implicit bias. People are complex multimodal body-minded beings continuously developing due to interaction with the environments they find themselves in. The continuous interaction with the environment situates people within, and at the centre of, their own 'life worlds'. The interrelationship between the life world and the people's continuous process of becoming over time shapes their perceptions of their worlds. Over time these perceptions determine the way people think about and therefore behave within their life worlds. The way they think about their life worlds becomes their mental models that steer their communication patterns.
3. Implicit Bias 
  • Develop an understanding of their own bias and how to mitigate it. Due to their life worlds that result in their mental models, people developed biases to those that are not accepted, approved of and/or appreciated within their life worlds. As such, over time, an implicit bias develops and if people are not made aware of their implicit biases, they perpetuate the conditioned behaviour of othering towards those that they have been conditioned to be bias towards.
4. Power and Patriarchy in an organisational setting 
  • Demonstrate an understanding of the potential harm that power and patriarchy can bring to the workplace. A conditioned mental model, often present in the world, specifically in Africa and South Africa, is that of Patriarchy. Patriarchy, for various reasons, positions men as more powerful than women. Power and Patriarchy, over time leads to bias towards women and/or genders other than male.
5. Conditioned Behavior 
  • Recognise and acknowledge own conditioned behaviors that may impede effective workplace practice
6. Workplace Environment 
  • Critically reflect upon and honour the gender complexities present in the workplace
  • Acknowledge and discuss how tensions between various gendered groups in the workplace can impede effective workplace practise 
7. Context of South Africa 
  • Critically reflect upon the tension between workplace policy and practice within the South African context. Where South Africa has a constitution that addresses equality and embrace diversity and inclusivity, in practice, the SA work environment still suffers from a spillage from skewed power and patriarchy.
8. Protection of Self and Others 
  • Discuss, acknowledge, and take ownership of the tendency to protect and defend homogenous groups
9. Communication Patterns and Practises
  • Have a basic working knowledge and skills of communication strategies that may lead towards inclusivity and diversity

10. NLP Strategies

• Access introductory NLP strategies towards empathetic listening. Neuro-linguistic programming provides several practical strategies that, when understood and practiced, may lead to empathetic listening. Awareness of one's own mental model, bias, conditioned behaviour and need to protect allows one permission to change. Due to plasticity of the body-minded self, all people have the capability to change behaviour when committed to do so.

11. Becoming and Ally

• Define and discuss what is implies to be an ally
  • Embark on a behaviour change to ensure ally-ship
Download brochure

Course reviews

• MAP was a great introduction to the commercial side of the business for a health professional like myself. I am now able to identify and leverage synergies between my department and others in the organisation. Because of the diversity and calibre of its students, WBS has helped me increase my network and I have recommended MAP to a number of my colleagues. It was an investment worth more than the rand value of the course – and motivated me to do my MBA!
    Pumza Mokgehle
    MAP Part-time
  • Doing NMP with WBS has provided me with the basic and highly valuable skills as I prepare myself for a leadership role within my organisation. The programme had practical examples which I could relate to my real situation at work.
    Kanyile Gwija
    NMP

Other courses that may interest you